Monday 11 June 2012

Review IX - The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Review IX
The Good, The Bad, The Weird (2008)

I've watched a few Western shows, but Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom, aka The Good, The Bad, The Weird, was the first Western film I ever watched. Not because I oppose Westerns, but because I just never got around to watching one. The film is directed by Kim Jee-woon (same director as I Saw The Devil), and stars Song Kang-ho, Jung Woo-sung, and, once again, Lee Byung-hun.

Park Chang-yi, The Bad (Lee Byung-hun), is hired to steal a treasure map from a Japanese soldier on a train, but Yoon Tae-goo, The Weird (Song Kang-ho), steals it first. Park Do-won, The Good (Jung Woo-sung), initially aiming to claim the bounty on The Bad's head, ends up being part of the search for the treasure, while the Japanese Imperial Army aims to get the map back.

The film is very entertaining. While I, as I mentioned, was disappointed with I Saw The Devil, The Good, The Bad, The Weird is one of my favourite films from Kim Jee-woon. The plot was simple, and it was perfect for the amount of action that was in the film. It was a good balance, and where I Saw The Devil failed, The Good, The Bad, The Weird succeeded. Song Kang-ho did an amazing job portraying The Weird, just as good as Jung Woo-sung did as The Good, and Lee Byung-hun as The Bad. The action scenes in the film are very well done, and the bits of comedy in the film fit in nicely. It's not a film that makes you think, but it does a fantastic job at keeping you entertained. The music was also amazing, but I've noticed that Kim Jee-woon's films always contain an awesome soundtrack.

I'd give the film eight on ten. I found it to be very entertaining, and the actors did a good job in each role they had. I wish maybe they had explored the history of Korea in the 1930s a bit more, but it wasn't necessary. As I mentioned, the plot is very simple, but with all the action that goes on, I'm happy they stuck with a simple plot. Had the plot been too complex, it would have led to a film lacking too much in the story. If you enjoy Westerns or are just looking for an entertaining, funny movie, it's highly recommended.

Pirate Bay torrent

No comments:

Post a Comment